ORTHOPEDIC AUTHORS ASSOCIATION OF INDIA (OAAI)
Dr John Ebnezar , an Internationally Renowned Author in Orthopedics, floated this new Association for Orthopedic Writers
Why such an Association?
Dr S M Tuli
Dr G S Kulkarni (Ortho)
Dr Ashok Johari
Dr John Ebnezar
Dr Hitesh Gopalan
Dr Sureshwar Pandey
Dr. Atul Bhaskar (Ortho)
Dr Lalit Maini
Dr Parag Sancheti
Minutes of Orthopaedic Author’s Society: first meeting held at IOACON 2010, jaipur
· Dr John Ebenezer: introduced the concept of Author’s club and explained its aims and objectives. He said that such a club is the “need of the hour”.
· Dr S. Rajasekharan: suggested importance of chapter writing, the need for copy editors since there is wide variation among style of writing among authors. He also suggested the need to identify professional writers. He also stated that for his Ganga Hospital video atlas, Jaypee Brothers has not paid any royalty in the last 2 years since its release
· Dr Lalit Maini: suggested that it is the publisher who usually fixes a particular topic and the publisher tries to negotiate with the author. For example, he was asked to write an MCQ book, when his interest was in writing on acetabular fractures
Also, said that none of the publishers pay proper royalty
· Dr John emphasized that we need to look into the Publisher’s contract and read it clearly before going ahead and signing it. The agreement laws are purely favoring the publishers and take away all rights of the authors. He stated that there should be a change in the agreement clauses, which was uniformly accepted
· There was also a suggestion that the Publishers should be called for our meetings and all the issues should be discussed with them in our meetings and an explanation sought
· Dr Hitesh Gopalan and Dr Ebenezer suggested the need for IOA to have its own publication house, similar to the AAOS
· The house emphasized the need for a stall or a table for display of books written by Orthopaedic Authors from India at every IOACON and this resolution needs to be passed at the executive committee of IOA.
· It was uniformly decided that Dr John Ebenezer would serve as President, Dr Lalit Maini as Secretary and Dr Hitesh Gopalan as Joint Secretary